Monday, June 9, 2008

God Knows What He's Doing

Last November, I was sitting in an Olive Garden in Lafayette, IN. Around the table were Steve and Kim Waggoner, my brother Todd, my wife's sister Melissa, and my family.

We had just gotten our food when my cell rang. The caller ID said it was my father in law. Nothing unusual about that, we talk frequently.

This time, it was unusual. "John, Alfred Newman is gone" "Gone? Waddaya mean, gone?"

At the young age of 76, my wife's grandpa had passed away very unexpectedly. Very. We all thought he was in great health. Sudden massive heart attack, they said.

I would like to say that a great revival broke out at his funeral. I would like to say that many of his relatives that need the Lord got saved as a result of his death.

But, I cannot say that. So far, that has not happened.

Then, more recently, Sharon Cassady slipped away, aged 57. Too young, in my book. Too much more was needed from her in this life, IMO. There are grandkids that are now too young for them to be able to remember Sharon after they are grown. Sad.

And then, this past Sunday morning, sitting in church, Jonathan Walden calls me to tell me about the mess in Columbus, IN, with all the flooding. And, he passes along the info that Gene Davis's brother was killed in a wreck.

I do not know Gene and Angie all that well. I only have met them on occasion. But, my heart breaks for them. I cannot imagine what they are going through.

I asked Jonathan on the phone if Gene's brother was saved. Jonathan said he did not think so.

And, then, I read with sheer delight Angie's Blog. 1 hour before he left this world, Gene's brother told his mother that "if any thing should happen to me, I am ready for heaven."

Wow.

I do not know why God chose to take these people when he did. Is there some grand cosmic reason? Will we know all about it when we get to heaven? Will these instances be the impetuous for souls getting saved?

You know what? I don't know. Could be, but we don't know.

But, I rest in this: God does ALL things well. All things.

God knows what He's doing.

And, as much as I would like to know what God is doing, I have come to the realization that I don't NEED to know what He is doing.

I just NEED to trust.

5 comments:

Karen Walden said...

I found myself today wondering the very same thing. We are so thankful that God stopped the water where he did at Darin and Amy's house but WHY did he let it happen in the first place? Why did he let so many people lose their homes, eartly posessions, jobs, etc??? We have been through some major things this year, from tornadoes, earthquake and now a flood that has been declared a disaster in our town. I think God is trying to tell us something! We need to be ready...
Thanks for the post, I needed to hear once again that "God knows what He's doing!"

Keep us in your prayers!

Queen of the Castle said...

Great post John! Thanks for the reminder...we all need to be reminded occasionally that God really IS in control & knows what He's doing! Tell your lovely wife hello for me & have a great week!

Jody J said...

Life is hard, but God is good. I don't know how people go through all the hardships without Him.

Tara said...

Hola, Mon Jyers! I didn't know you had a blog till a few days ago. You're keeping it hot, too!

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss in Monica's family. I can only imagine what a shock that must have been. Hope she's doing well.

Keep bloggin'. :)

Angie D said...

John, we talked about this several times during the last few days. Gene's brother spent the better part of 40 years mostly ignoring God and it was only in the last 3 years that he even attended church at all.

After talking with Brian's pastor for a while last night about the timeline of when Brian recently testified that God had actually saved him, it became clear: God knew Brian was finally ready.

Wow--didn't mean to write a book here, but we're home and catching up on news and wanted to thank you for your prayers!

Blessings...