Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Gas Prices

Several years ago, we sang for a week in the Cayman Islands. That in and of it's self is an entire post, but I will save it for a later date.


While we were in Grand Cayman, I was astonished at what the Caymanians were paying for gas. At that time, they were paying, *gasp*, over $2.50 a gallon.


At that time, here in the US, we were paying around a dollar.


I remember thinking, "Wow, I do not think I can make it if we ever have to pay that much."


Yesterday afternoon, I became "friends" on Facebook with Adam Profitt, a GBS alum who lives in Cayman. I asked him what the current gas price was there, and his reply was that for diesel, they are paying $5 a gallon, and for gas, $4.70 a gallon.


Now the first thing I noticed is how much closer we are to them in what we are paying. In my area, we are paying $3.999.


But then, Adam threw in a fact that I was not aware of. They are paying $4.70 for an imperial gallon.


Now, why does that matter? Because an imperial gallon of gas is 5 quarts. Not 4.


So, for a quart of gas in Cayman, they are paying 94 cents. At $3.999 per gallon, we are paying a dollar for a quart of gas. So we now pay more for gas than what they are paying on the little island of Grand Cayman.


And, on top of that, our dollar is worth 22 cents less than their dollar. So we are paying significantly more for gas than they are.


The reason they gave for the high gas prices in Cayman when we were there was that it cost so much more to transport it in by boat than what it did for us here in the US.


So, what changed?





No comments: