Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What You Learn in a Trip to the Playground

We are visiting my in-laws in Zanesville. We leave for home tomorrow, Lord willing.

Today, I took Janae to a playground/park in a town near here. Janae was playing as any four year old would do. There were a few other kids in the park.

After a while, all but Janae, myself, and three boys had left the park.

I decided to strike up a conversation with the three boys. I thought I might be able to witness to them. I found out that the boys were 7 "and a half", 8, and I think the other one was 9. The 7 and a half year old and the 8 year old did not have shirts on.

The youngest one was Donnie. I gathered this simply by listening, as the other boys said his name quite a few times. I asked the boys if they attended church. "No, not anymore."

As I watched, I slowly became aware of something. I am slow to notice things, and this took me a while.

Donnie had at least 8, maybe more, straight, red, 10 inch scars across his back. In series of two, about an inch apart. It took a while for me to realize what I was seeing. After a while, what I learned in our recent Foster Care classes kicked in.

These were belt marks. Harsh, mean looking, red, angry belt marks.

Someone has been abusing Donnie.

I looked at the other boy, and he had two large scars on his chest where someone had extinguished their cigarettes. Donnie had one of these marks on his back.

The 8 year old also had what looked to be knife wounds in his lower right side. These were about 6 inches long, and very jagged. They were not scrapes, they were large cuts, and very recent. No signs of stitches.

The two oldest boys left, and that gave me the opportunity to talk to Donnie.

"Donnie, do you mind if I ask you a question?"

"No, go ahead."

"Donnie, what are those marks on your back?"

"Aww, nothin'"

"Donnie, I can see those marks. Has someone whipped you with a belt?"

"No, sometimes my sister hits me with her hand."

"Donnie, those marks do not come from someones hand. Did someone whip you with a belt?"

"No, it's just dirt. Sometimes I play in the dirt."

"Donnie, I want you to know something. No one should EVER beat you on the back with a belt. No one."

"Parents are allowed." Uh, oh, now I KNEW what to this point I was only guessing. Donnie's parents were abusing him.

"No, Donnie, no one, not even your parents should ever do this to you. Donnie, I know that those are belt marks. I want you to do something. If any one ever does this to you again, I want you to call the cops."

"I don't know the number."

"Donnie, yes you do. It's 911."

"Oh, yeah."

Donnie started to walk away at this point. As he left, I said, "Donnie, I am a preacher, a pastor, and I am going to be praying for you."

At this point, Donnie took off running. I left the park crying.

I will never see him again.

But, I WILL pray for Donnie tonight, and for many nights to come.

3 comments:

Quakenbush's said...

Our family will join you in praying for Donny. We had a similar experience last Saturday. We had decided to have a garage sale so we were outside. A neighbor three houses west had an adult child of there's visit and when they pulled up to the curb the Mother pulled an 8 year old out of the back seat by the arms and on to the child's knees (on the pavement) The Mother then pulled the child to the house by her hair all the while slapping the girl in the back of the head. I was stunned but quickly got the vehicles tag number and called the local police. Two patrol cars responded and took my statement and called child welfare. What will become of this little girl? I don't know. But what we saw broke our hearts..... "Suffer the little children to come unto me......" God help us, what is this world coming to?

Greg Q.

Karen Walden said...

Very sad story John. We have no idea what many children live through. Sometimes makes me just want to take some of our Jr Church kids home with me.

Brandon Miller said...

John, I am sitting here crying. That is well what I call very sad witnessing. I love to work with children. I will also pray for him.