Friday, July 4, 2008

I'm Proud to be an American...

...where at least I know I'm free.

And you know the rest.

I am proud that we still have the freedom to:

Worship freely.

Own guns (Thank you Supreme Court!).

Think freely.

Vote.

Say what I want.

Own Property.

Attend whatever Church I believe God wants me to.

Love.

Work in what ever profession I choose.

Freely associate with whom ever I choose.

Be a conservative.

Protect my family.

And the list goes on...

You know what? On this Fourth of July, I am still proud to be called an American. I still love this nation. I am proud of the President we currently have. (YES I AM!!!)

I am glad that President Bush has been a man who has not governed by polls, who has governed by the dictates of his heart, his intellect, his faith.

I am glad for the men and women who are serving in the military. They fight in OUR name. Are you a Republican? They fight in our name. Are you a Democrat? They fight in your name. Liberal? Conservative? Libertarian? Green Party? They fight in your name.

Last week, they buried a 21 year old Marine in the cemetery at the end of our road. I went to the graveside later that night, and just stood with my family there for a few minutes. I had tears in my eyes. I do now.

Lance Corporal Whitacre fought and died for us. He was killed in Iraq by an IED. Only 21.

So, today, July the 4th, 2008, I live my life, freely, because of countless soldiers who fought and died like Lance Corporal Whitacre.

And tonight, as I sit and watch the fireworks with my family, I will remember that it was men and women like Whitacre that have given us a reason to celebrate.

Thanks to them, we are free.

2 comments:

schoolarn said...

Hi John!
I appreciate your sentiment. When my husband was in the Navy during the Vietnam War, he got to visit many other countries with people living under deplorable conditions. He said it always made him wonder why he was so blessed to be born in the USA. Many have paid the price for us to enjoy our freedom. I pray people never forget that.

Enjoy your blogs! Miss you guys!

John Myers said...

Hey, Shirley, glad to know you are reading this poor excuse for a blog!

We miss you and Butch as well. We need to get together some time.

Tell all we said hello!