Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"Praying Through"

I want to wade into what may be a deep theological discussion here. Someone please alert Travis Johnson. :)

Let me say up front that I am thinking out loud here. I have come to no definite conclusions about what I am going to say, and realize that for some these remarks may seem a bit controversial.

All my life I have heard it said that it is very important that we "pray clear through." Implied in this is that we get a witness in our spirit that the Lord has done the work in us that we are seeking.

In that, I agree. In matters that concern our lives, we must KNOW what God wants of us. Yes, I do believe that we can KNOW what God desires of us.

But, I have been thinking about something. Let me start it like this:

In many camp meetings and revivals over the years, I have seen some lay across the altar for hours, literally, seeking forgiveness, and/or seeking to be saved.

What I have to ask is this: What are they seeking? Forgiveness? A witness? A feeling? An emotion?

I am asking because it seems that we place the responsibility for forgiveness on OUR shoulders, not on God's, where it rightly belongs. See, it seems as if we believe that if we cry and weep over an altar long enough, that God will finally see that we mean business, and will finally deign to forgive us.

The Bible says that if we confess our sins, God is faithful to forgive us of our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

ALL the Bible says we are to do is confess. Not weep and cry and moan and wear out the ones who are praying for us at the altar.

Now, I am not saying that we should never pray, or even cry and weep, at an altar. I have done a little of that myself. But, have we misplaced the emphasis? Have we made our efforts at the altar more important than just accepting God's forgiveness?

If a person with an honest and sincere heart prays one time, "Oh, Lord, forgive me" does not God, in that very instant, forgive us?

Whew boy, there, I said it.

Thoughts?

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Don't fall over, John, but for once I DO agree with you on this!

soccermom :o)

Anonymous said...

and I find myself agreeing with you John as well as soccermom (now that is scary) :-)

Brandon Miller said...

Well, John very well put. I am young and I may not be the best person to talk to about this. The way I see it is that we can pray for forgiveness. It can take matter's of seconds. It may take hours if you confess everything. I do think public confecions are goood aka testimonies. Yet, there is a time to stop and you don't need to confess all out to people.

Well, what I am trying to say is God is faithful to forgive. It don't have to be at an alter. I think God can save anyone, anywhere, anytime. I cry at an alter. I staythere seeking God. I go to the alter because I feel Gods wanting me to be there.

Hope I didnt rambale to much!

Brandon

Jody J said...

Good thoughts, John. (I'll have to tell Travis to read this so we can start a good debate. :)) I totally agree! I actually think that Travis will too. He has said more the once the struggle isn't at the altar; it's the next day when you get up and decide your going to live in the spirit and quit sinning. I think people often are seeking a feeling at the altar when God didn't promise a feeling!

Karen Walden said...

I have often wondered why people spend hours at the altar myself. Either you are going to "give it up or your aren't!" Another "I agree" with ya!

Anonymous said...

Good post John. Unfortunately, some do spend a long time at an altar. We never know the internal struggle they are facing. Everybody's experience is different. I do believe that if we confess our sins, God is faithful & just to forgive. It's that simple. But sometimes the confession takes a while. In our pride we may think that we're not near as bad as we are; or we're not near as bad as so and so. Sometimes it takes people a while to recognize that we are sinners; destitute, depraved, & absolutely lost without God. And when the sick man admits his sickness; and the drowning man admits his need; and the sinner sees his need for a Saviour and acts upon that with faith in Christ he then is translated from the kingdom of darkness into the Kingdom of His dear Son (Col. 1:13).